Next event: 11-12th August 2018
Location: The Lake District, England
Imagine a land of extremes: the home of England’s highest mountain and its deepest lake. An ancient landscape of craggy hilltops, mountain tarns, rugged trails and glittering lakes. That place is the Lake District National Park, and for centuries it has captivated the imagination of adventurers, explorers and intellectuals alike.
This is the setting for Breca Buttermere - the UK's original swimrun race. The courses will test you on many levels: the lakes are cold and deep; the ascents are steep and the descents are technical. It’s a course that favours the complete athlete.
- Estimated completion time: 5.5-11 hours
- Terrain: trails, sections of technical running; steps; steep slopes. The long fells section is in effect a category AM fell race.
- Swimming: rocky beach entries and exits, some technical transitions
- Difficulty: hard. To complete this race you need a high level of fitness and should be confident in the fells
Breca Buttermere Sprint
- Estimated completion time: 2-4 hours
- Terrain: trails, sections of technical running; steps.
- Swimming: rocky beach entries and exits
- Difficulty: medium. To complete this race you need a medium to high level of fitness
11-12th August 2018
Swimrun is raced in pairs - entry is for teams of two only
Breca Buttermere - £200 per person
Breca Buttermere Sprint - £135 per person
The entry fee includes:
- swim cap
- finishers' t-shirts
- finishers' medals
- race timing
- race nutrition and hydration
- free event photography
- coaches to the race start
Each team must have:
- Two wetsuits suitable for temperatures of 10°c
- Two whistles
- Two reusable cups or flasks - any kind will be accepted, as long as they are genuinely reusable
Teams may also use tow ropes, paddles, pull buoys and fins (no longer than 15cm, measured from the toe), but they are not mandatory.
TEAMS & RESULTS
Being part of the Breca Buttermere Event Team is rewarding and fun. If you can commit to a full day of volunteering you will receive a t-shirt, lunch and free entry to a Breca Swimrun race the following year. Click here to find out more.
Supporters are more than welcome to attend the event and we hope to see you especially at the finish lines and the post-race social.
We ask that you observe the following advice:
- Please do not accompany competitors to the race registration and briefing. The venue is not big enough.
- Please do not attend the race start of the full or sprint distance races. The start locations are restricted spaces with no spare parking and narrow roads.
- Please use designated public car parks and don’t park on private property or roadsides.
- The best places to watch the races are on the shores of Crummock Water and Buttermere which both have many footpaths around them. There are small car parks along the B5289 and in Buttermere village, which also has cafes and pubs.